Joey Yung 容祖儿《月半小夜曲》- I am a Singer 4

Hello everyone!

We're putting our thoughts and opinions on Joey Yung's first performance for the mainland China show, I am a Singer 4. We haven't followed or watched really any of it! But came across this video on YouTube while listening to some other old Cantopop for a switch from the mediocre modern day Cantopop.

This song is originally sung by Hacken Lee in 1987 and is considered one of his greatest hits and rightly so. The melody is beautifully written, by Japanese singer/songwriter 河合奈保子. We're not sure of the english name so sorry about that! In Hacken's original version, its more upbeat than Joey's performance. We'll link both of them below! It's really no good to compare but we just wanted to base this off of something. Back to Hacken's song, we both grew up listening to old "Golden Era" Cantopop because our parents always played it and when we were younger, they were just songs. Now that we understand Chinese more and want to listen to more Chinese songs, we automatically go to these songs because they really are the best you can get. 

So this is his original way back when! The emotion and the perfect enunciation of the lyrics are really what captures us. The lyrics are just another story altogether. Like Hacken's other great hit, 大會堂演奏廳, the moment you close your eyes, you can picture the setting. A masterpiece!


This is Joey's version! Now, we both have known her for a super long time but we just never really listened to her songs. Of course, we know her song My Pride and stuff like that but to us, she's just this singer that's been around for a while. That is until we heard this. 

Cee: I first listened to this after hearing Hacken's version and the first time through, I was amazed. Her live performance is flawless. There are many many HK singers these days who suffer from being off beat, off tune, and also wrong breathing techniques. It's one of my pet peeves when I can constantly hear a singer breathing like they're having an asthma attack, and I didn't notice it once in Joey's performance. 

The arrangement of this song allows for more suspense as seen on many of the audience's faces. The sheer hope in her to succeed from everyone shows that this is a difficult song to master. I know a while back GEM went on this show but personally, I don't really like her style since it's mostly about her loud and wide range. Just personal preference, but I prefer Joey since her voice is more soothing to the ear. And I think that's the reason why Joey is still in the circle after all these years, because her voice is easy to listen to and more than anything, she is capable of delivering a great live performance. Towards the end, Joey does go loud since it's the style Mainland China has been after these past few years, the so called 爆咪 but I'm really happy she took it back down and actually isn't flat in her execution of the song. 

I am really glad I stumbled upon this and I've only gained my respect for her even more! 

And, just a little something, nothing against her but I noticed she sang the wrong lyric @ 2:52 in the video but totally understandable and it wasn't until I put up the lyrics did I know they didn't match, so this only proves she's more professional.

This is Joey's performance on I am a Singer, 我是歌手第4.


Joey Yung 容祖儿《月半小夜曲》- I am a Singer 4




作詞:向雪懷
作曲:河合奈保子

仍然倚在失眠夜 望天邊星宿
仍然聽見小提琴 如泣似訴再挑逗
為何只剩一彎月 留在我的天空
這晚以後音訊隔絕

人如天上的明月 是不可擁有
情如曲過只遺留 無可挽救再分別
為何只是失望 填密我的空虛
這晚夜沒有吻別 

仍在說永久 想不到是藉口
從未意會要分手
但我的心每分每刻仍然被她佔有
她似這月兒仍然是不開口
提琴獨奏獨奏著明月半倚深秋
我的牽掛 我的渴望 直至以後 

人如天上的明月 是不可擁有
情如曲過只遺留 無可挽救再分別
為何只是失望 填密我的空虛
這晚夜沒有吻別

仍在說永久 想不到是藉口
從未意會要分手
但我的心每分每刻仍然被她佔有
她似這月兒仍然是不開口
提琴獨奏獨奏著明月半倚深秋
我的牽掛 我的渴望 直至以後 

仍在說永久 想不到是藉口
從未意會要分手
但我的心每分每刻仍然被她佔有
她似這月兒仍然是不開口
提琴獨奏獨奏著明月半倚深秋

我的牽掛 我的渴望 直至以後
 我的牽掛 我的渴望 直至以後 

Hope you guys enjoy this!

-CeeJay

UPDATE!!

Cee- I just saw this because it doesn't have as many views but uploaded on the same day and I had to add it here. This performance is just beautiful. Hacken Lee has just proved himself once again and this time with Leslie Cheung's famous 風繼續吹.The first line and I already knew this was gonna be amazing, it is a hybrid of Leslie and Hacken in a wonderful, wonderful way. Words cannot describe this! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big White Duel II 白色強人II TVB Review

My Dearly Sinful Mind 心理追兇 Mind Hunter TVB Review

Over Run Over EU超時任務 TVB Review